It’s been a long week, and it’s only Wednesday! It’s the kind of week when I head to the kitchen more often than I should. Baking relaxes me, cooking does too if it’s not the 5 pm, kids screaming, “what’s for dinner” rush. In the last week I’ve been called to make gluten free, dairy free pineapple upside down cake, my own special dairy free dark chocolate cake, dairy free dark chocolate mousse (which still needs work) and a homemade, almost as good as the original dairy free version of the Starbucks Toffee Mocha. Quite a week even for me! Sleepless nights and teething babies will do that to you!
Today I started thinking of all the great recipes I’ve experimented with but have been to much of a slacker to get put up here. One of my recent favorites was a dark chocolate gluten and egg free brownie recipe. This could easily be made dairy free by using an all purpose gluten free baking mix that doesn’t contain dairy. Pamela’s, the one I used, contains buttermilk solids.
Delightful Dark Chocolate Allergy Friendly Brownies
1/3 cup Pamela’s Baking Mix
1 cup water
1/2 cup or 1 stick Flieschmans unsalted butter (only the unsalted is dairy free)
2/3 cup unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla (gluten free)
2 cups Pamela’s Baking Mix
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional…just omit if you are nut free)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan.
2. In a heavy saucepan combine the 1/3 cup of baking mix and water with a whisk. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
3. In a small saucepan, melt butter. When melted add cocoa and mix until smooth; set aside to cool.
4. Beat the sugar and vanilla into the cooled flour mixture.
5. Stir in the cocoa mixture until well blended.
6. Combine remaining baking mix, baking powder and salt, stir into the batter until just blended.
7. Fold in walnuts if you wish.
8. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Cool before cutting into bars.